Thursday, June 20, 2013

Indoor Rock Climbing: My Latest Workout Obsession

Why?

Well…not only is it a fantastic full body workout that engages muscles you didn’t even realize you had (and not just upper body!), but it’s actually mentally challenging and quite therapeutic.


Ok, so it doesn’t look nearly as cool as it feels, but who cares. It’s all about personal improvement.



I recently bought a membership to a local rock climbing gym. This marks my third week of climbing (going 3 times a week) and I’m surprisingly not bored of it at all. In fact, I can’t wait to for my next climbing session. What makes this workout so appealing is the fact that you are able to see yourself improve each time.

Typically an indoor rock climbing gyms set routes which are marked by difficulty and then change them on a monthly basis. This allows you to try to conquer certain routes within that month and then try new ones when they are changed. Every time I go back, I’m able to climb a route that I couldn’t do before. It’s an awesome feeling – having tangible proof that your body is becoming more agile, balanced and strong and knowing that your mind is more focused. It’s addicting.

Another benefit of climbing indoors is having a relatively safe space to test your limits and conquer your fears. I’m not afraid of heights, but when you’re 30-40 feet up and putting every last once of energy into reaching for a little rock with your sweaty, shaky, fatigued fingers it feels pretty intense and you start to question yourself. I’m not embarrassed to admit I  use positive self-talk techniques in those moments. “I can do this”, “I’m strong and focused”, etc… It really helps!

I’ve decided to stick with this hobby and encourage anyone, regardless of body type, to give it a try. I truly think anyone can find enjoyment in this activity. Plus rock climbing is a perfect after-work stress reliever!
 
Me bouldering. My gym also has a *bouldering room and an outdoor boulder. And, uh...wear pants that don't fall down ;)

Goin up!

Almost!


Made it!


*“Bouldering is ropeless climbing on walls that reach about 12 feet tall…This lets you practice climbing without a belayer or the fear of being too high.  Bouldering is a great way to start climbing and work on technique and strength.”


Happy climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment